Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pride vs Self Confidence Part 2: Self Confidence (some things I am good at)

The Dalai Lama says: "Self confidence is not to be confused with pride. Pride is thinking highly of oneself without good reason. Self confidence is knowing that one has the ability to do something properly and being determined not to give up."

I'm a lot like my breed of choice, the border collie. I need constant activity, love learning new things, and am compulsive, athletic, and a little weird.  I am always open to new experiences, and through this openness, I have discovered that there are a few things that I am really good at. For example, even though I don't hunt and am not into guns, I am an excellent shot. I make a pie that will ruin all other pies for you. I build great campfires and without the assistance of gasoline and cardboard. I'm an excellent middle-distance runner. Writing comes naturally to me, as does reading people. I notice obscure details and have a freaky long memory for odd facts and events. I'm a quick study with anything technical. I can adjust the front and rear dérailleurs on a bicycle, along with the brakes. I'm an expert trip planner. My dog and I will compete in agility at the world level if I keep learning and training and trying.

Most of these things I have discovered an aptitude for by accident and then developed those skills which are of value to me. I bring these things up, not as a way to brag, but to encourage you to try new things, to take stock of what you are naturally good at, and to think about what you may want to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment