Friday, June 25, 2010

On Ladders and the inhabitants of my cubicle

“Let them know my work, let everyone look to me for direction…one way leads to wealth and fame, the other to the end of the way…” – the Buddha

“If the ladder is not leaning against the right wall, every step we take just gets us to the wrong place faster” – Stephen R. Covey

About 16 months ago, I left a position at work that I loved to work in another department.  The motivation then was largely driven by an idea that I had subscribed to that one must keep moving up the ladder, take all opportunities available, make more money, get more recognition, etc.

A cost of this decision, was an ever  increasing difficulty in maintaining work/life balance. I was stressed and distracted (and as a consequence, not fun to be with). Travel was unpredictable, yet constant. I stopped playing with the toys in my cube. I became a compulsive Blackberry checker.

Eventually, it became clear, that enough was enough.  I had “dropped” by Blackberry in the toilet, but that wasn’t doing it .  I had to get out of there. For about 6 months, I plotted my exit, and now I am pleased to announce that next week I will be returning to the place in my company in which I was happiest.

In preparation for that transition, today I moved to my new cubicle. I still have another week at the old job, and then fittingly, I start my new one officially on Independence Day (the first day of the first pay period in July).

Until then, my Blackberry is off.

No comments:

Post a Comment