Friday, July 2, 2010

From Blackberries to Blueberries and Raspberries

“Mistake the the false for the true and the true for the false, you overlook your heart and fill yourself with desire.” – the Buddha

Every Wednesday for the last few years we pick up our Community Support Agriculture farm share at the local farmer’s market. We get just enough produce to feed the two of us, with a little left over to store away.

Last summer, I was in the midst of a management role that required a lot of travel. Indeed, there were many Wednesdays last summer where my wife had to pick up the share on her own while I was running around with my Blackberry, sitting in airports and meeting rooms, thinking this is what you had to do; Must keep moving up.  A lot of the share ended up being wasted that summer.

Realizing that this was no way to live, that other things in life were more important, I planned my exit strategy and wound up exactly where I wanted. Today marks my last day before I start that new role.  In a few minutes, I drop off my Blackberry, and focus on making sure I am around to pick up the blueberries and raspberries at the Farmer’s Market instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment