Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Impurity

"How easy it is to see your brother's faults, how hard to face your own."

The Impurity passage within the Dhammapada is about the importance of essentially getting your shit together and not getting caught up in the faults of others.

In a previous post I wrote about how I acquired a t-shirt that said "Hey, you try running my dog." The front of the shirt had a number of quotes from the peanut gallery that you tend to hear whilst competing in the agility ring or on the video after you watch your run. Now, there are a lot of crap handlers agility enthusiasts who could benefit from both classes and practice with their dogs out there. There are an equal number of peanut gallery commentators. Not surprisingly, this population is often one and the same. I used to be a card carrying member of that group. As you can imagine, critiquing the performances of others didn't help me one bit. It was only when I stopped caring about how others performed and started focusing on what I could improve, that things changed for me in this sport. I've applied this to other areas of my life as well, and it's been quite rewarding. Maybe you will experience that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment