Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pleasure

"Like nothing lest you lose it, lest it bring you grief and fear. Go beyond likes and dislikes."

When my dog and I earn a placement in Agility, we never take our ribbon. She doesn't because, what's a dog going to do with a ribbon? The reason I don't started out as a practical matter: I am blessed to have a dog that when I do my job, she does her's and we often place. This leads to lots of ribbons, which take up space which we don't have because we'd rather use our space to house our dogs than their ribbons.   Today I generally don't take a ribbon because for me, it is a symbol of attachment to winning, which also involves the fear of losing and has wrecked many a perfectly fine day of trialling. I appreciate competition and appreciate and feel good when we place, but that is not the goal. The goal is to enjoy the moment with my dog. Everything else is bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment