Monday, January 4, 2010

Old Age

"Sad is the man who in his youth lived loosely and squandered his fortune."

So I'm a relatively young dharmaspoon guy. Being as such, it is easy to forget that one day (if I am lucky), I will get old and die. If I am unlucky, I won't get to get old first. Either way, I am reminded that while our physical bodies are impermanent, our actions accumulate and carry on after we pass.  Now I don't have a fortune to squander. My dogs and my house and my wife make sure of that (and I mean that in a good way, because what I get in return from each of them is priceless). What I do have is opportunities to do good in the world, to live with integrity, and to appreciate my good fortune. It's the start of a new year and my resolution is to live mindfully and with gratitude for all that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment